Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nonconformity

I have raised a bunch of non-conformists. Sometimes that makes me proud; that you are all individuals, with minds of your own. You each have strong (and differing) opinions and not one of you will ever be content with the status quo.

Like I said, sometimes this makes me proud. Other times I want to go beat my head against the wall.

Because it’s not about being different. (Different, than what?) Different is only good if it is better than the alternative. When all the nonconformists sit in the same room, the perspective changes. Funny, they all look alike.

Alike, in that, no one can tell them anything. And that’s the part the gives me a headache.

So with my bloodied head, I still have a few things to say….

Sometimes the “free-er” you are, the less you see yourself as a participant in the “system,” the less choices you actually have. Those who don’t participate in the system, more often find themselves at its mercy; not a good place to be.

If you stand on principle (and by that I mean good, sound, right principle) your differences count for something. Having spend a lifetime, attempting to live out the things I stand for (“attempting” being a very intentional word) I can say that they have given value to my existence and while the cost has been steep at times, it’s been worth it

“I can do what I want” is not standing on principle. It is selfish, worthless, and dangerous.

The biggest price tag is stuck with super glue to the large label that says, “unteachable, always right, refuses to listen.” That costs. On the warning label is clearly listed, “dangerous to relationships, can result in loss of love and respect.”

There is no universal young adult law that says one must reject the values, faith, lifestyle of his/her family to be a true individual. Conformity is bad if that to which you conform is bad. To conform to that which is good is, well, wise.

Now, I will go bandage my head, take some Tylenol, and try to put something over the dent in the wall.

3 comments:

Cher said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. How wonderful! I began blogging last year and am a dismal failure at keeping it going but I admire those that do.
This particular entry is terrific. I so relate to this as I, too, am the mother of a "non-conformist".
Thanks for the writings here. I look forward to reading more wonderful "Kay wisdom".
Much love, CHER

Unknown said...

So true, Ms. K. I believe a lot of Christians/strong-willed people (myself included)can get a big head about being different from others and standing strong in our beliefs that when we are wrong (or what we are 'not conforming' to is in fact something very helpful) we make life hard and take ourselves further from the great things in life (truth and justice). Sorry for your pain!

Unknown said...

And to add... the bible speaks great things about unity and harmony between people and the wonderful benefits it causes for everyone (even when some of the people you are 'unified' with are wrong or not-so-wonderful).